Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Liftoff (or: Welcome, Introduction)

I've been into science fiction since I was barely old enough to understand it. And I've been into metal since 1990 or so. The two are a good match. While Fantasy themes have dominated metal since the 70's, and horror prevails in the among gothic and extreme metal bands, no other style of music has been a more hospitable home to SF. The aim of this blog is to highlight bands and albums with a science fiction flavor, whether original or based on books, movies, or TV.

Of course, I'll be biased in favor of the kinds of metal I like. For example, I'm sure plenty of prog metal bands fit the bill, but my interest in that sub-genre is limited. For that reason I invite visitors to suggest bands and albums for inclusion. Bands that aren't well known will generally get priority over big names.

I won't be writing extensive reviews of anything, for the simple reason that my writing time needs to be spent on my fiction. I'll occasionally point to external reviews, but the main link for any item included here will be to someplace you can hear samples, such as the band's website or Myspace page.

I'd like to embed a good MP3 jukebox on the blog here. If someone knows of one that lets you host the MP3 files on their site, please let me know.

Thanks for joining me. Come back often.

No comments: